Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Evening of Christmas Joys

Every year our church does a stake Christmas music program. Choirs sing, instrumental groups play, and there is a group sing along to the Hallelujah Chorus. Usually there is a brass group that plays although there wasn't last year because 2 of the lds horn players and myself had a conflict playing in another Christmas program for an orchestra that we are members of. This year, there is no scheduling conflict so a small brass choir was organized to play at this years event. Anyhow, we had our first rehearsal Sunday night. I was expecting marginal brass players, as in years past, but I was pleasantly surprised, for a couple of reasons. One was because there were 2 lds trombone players who are both doing graduate degrees in performance here at UNT. And one of the players was a former student of mine from my BYU days. I was her first teacher - 15 years ago. It was surprising to find out that she is now at UNT(where I did my masters degree in trombone performance). Its funny how your past comes full circle sometimes. The other trombone is a former BYU & Manhattan School of Music student. He's here doing his DMA and is also a very good player. In addition, the horns are solid and the trumpets hold their own.

We're playing Canzon septimi toni No. 2. I was worried about how it would come together, because I've played Gabrieli's canzons in some brass groups where it sounded like a train wreck, but this sounded positively great for a first rehearsal! Its very exciting. I haven't felt that good about playing in a group for a long time. Warm fuzzies.

No comments: